On Friday 8th May, the country celebrates the 75th Anniversary of VE Day! The bank holiday has been moved so that we can all celebrate. At 9am on 8th May, The Queen will address the nation and there will be a live stream on BBC – which is the exact same time that her father, King George VI, spoke to the UK 75 years ago, on the actual VE Day.
Have a look at the attached power-points to find out more - one is about VE Day generally and the other focuses on the 75th Anniversary.
I have attached some nice activities for you to do this week. There is even some war-time baking to do if you want! I would love to see what you get up to - don't forget to send me photos. Perhaps you could make some bunting and decorate your house on Friday? Or make a spitfire to fly? Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy the celebration!
When I was a little girl I was lucky enough to be invited to a 50th Anniversary of VE Day celebration in London (25 years ago - how old am I!!!). I went to a street party on Oxford Street and we dressed up in wartime outfits and ate spam sandwiches! I will never forget it!! What will you do? Sadly we can't have proper street parties but maybe you could try a spam sandwich or decorate your house?
Here are some ideas and activities to celebrate VE Day:
- Create a poster filled with facts about VE day.
- Write your own fact file using subheadings and paragraphs.
- Role play the first ever VE day. What were you thinking, feeling etc?
- Record yourself pretending to be a news anchor telling Britain the news.
- Write questions about VE day and then quiz your family and friends.
- Research your family tree, are you related to anyone who served in the war? Find out information about them.
- Have a go at one of the sheets below...
Decorate your home...
The Royal British Legion
Write a message on the Royal British Legion's website - here is the link for you...
Their website also has lots of other ideas and resources so take a look and see what else you can find.
Why not try and learn the Horrible Histories VE Day song and perform it to your family.